Saturday, March 6, 2010

'THE UK OFFICE' VS. 'THE US OFFICE'

Back in 2001, a 40-year-old Ricky Gervais and a young ambitious 27-year-old Stephen Merchant made a risky choice and brought something unique to situation comedies for the British Broadcasting Cooperation (BBC). A delightfully brilliant show called The Office. A mockumentary revolving around the staff and manager of a deadbeat paper manufacturing company called Wernham Hogg. I call their decision risky because of how realistic the show came off as. Some people actually believing it was real life being taped. It was not your typical over the top sitcom. It had emotions running through the office, extremely dry humor and a lot of depressed human beings discussing their lives to a camera crew. Now in 2005, Greg Daniels (also behind the horrible wanna-be Parks and Recreation) adapted the British sensation for American television with Steve Carell in the manager position as well as John Krazinski, Jenna Fischer, and Rainn Wilson. This show, mind you, is still on the air and seems to still be doing strong. Many have argued that the American version is a hell of a lot funnier than the British version. That it's faster paced (which I'll give them that), it's lighter, not as depressing, more hopeful, and the jokes come at you like grenades. I myself, have always preferred the British version and think there's a lot more to this story that meets the eye. It is not your typical situation comedy. It's out there to make a difference. To stand the test of time. Which, in my eyes, the British version absolutely did. I'm still waiting on the American version to accomplish that. And need I say, they are currently on their 108th episode! Where as, the British version only had 14 episodes! Including a 2-part Christmas special which is just outstanding. What will happen now is I am going to dissect both versions and then you (hopefully you'll read this) will let me know what you think! Here we go...


THE UK OFFICE (2001-2003)
-Now we all know by now, who Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant are. Well, a lot may not know Merchant, cause he's usually behind the camera. But if you don't know who he is, watch another Gervais/Merchant BBC creation called Extras where Merchant plays Gervais' agent. He's in practically every single episode. Anyway, now Gervais is a big, big star. Starring in two motion pictures, one of which he wrote and co-directed (The Invention of Lying) and makes brief cameos in a bunch of films and some television (Night at the Museum 1 & 2, Stardust, Alias). He also currently has an animated show based on his widely popular podcast alongside Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington that is broadcasted on HBO on friday nights at 9pm. But before any of these huge projects, Gervais was just a nobody in the 1990s working a typical 9-5 job (which I'm sure this show was based off of). Someone who didn't want to be in the entertainment industry at all. But it was Merchant, a very young ambitious man, who talked some sense into him. And then they decided to create a demo of an idea later called... The Office. It was eventually aired in 2001 and lasted 2 short seasons plus a 2-part tearjerking Christmas finale that wrapped everything quite beautifully if you ask me. Anyway, I remember when I was 19, my friend, who was working at Blockbuster in New York at the time, lent me a copy of the first season of the British Office because they didn't air it on American television. I was huge into Extras at the time, so of course, I jumped right at it. I absolutely fell in love with it and just couldn't believe America tried to duplicate what England had honed so nicely. But I stopped at the first season and just pursued Extras. Then about only half a year ago, I got back into the swing of things and starting watching all the episodes of the British version alongside the American version. In other words, I was watching them back to back, which was fascinating, I'll tell you. When I finally reached the end of the Christmas finale, I could have sworn a tear dropped from my eye. If you just watch this piece of work from episode 1 to the Christmas finale you will cry. It is a gorgeous character study and dissects the human mind so tastefully. This character that Gervais created, David Brent, is probably the finest character in the history of television. Most likely the greatest performance in the history of the BBC, I'm sure. Gervais and Merchant made a mark in British sitcoms and broke the rules. They rewrote the rules of television and made something pure. Characters we fell in love with only a few minutes in. This show practically defined the term, AWKWARD for me by the way. No characters annoyed me, unless they were trying to, but everyone played the part perfectly. David Brent has absolutely nothing and continues to receive nothing from anyone and is put down continuously by his co-workers, strangers, and his new boss that moves in to take charge, Neil Godwin (Patrick Baladi). And then finally in the last 5 minutes he gets some supreme redemption and there is hope for all in the office, but especially Brent. You hate him and you love him all the same. He's just a lonely man looking for a hug. Someone who has confused popularity with respect which is the main key to this character. A boss who sees himself differently from what the rest of the world sees in him. His blind spot. This is a magnificent piece of work and I think is one of the greatest television programs ever broadcasted. Now nearly 11 years from then, the British version is finally getting its knack on the American networks and internet. You can find all the episodes on IMDB.com, Netflix.com, and Adult Swim on saturday nights. Gervais even had a billboard in New York promoting it premiering on Adult Swim. I am just so glad he is finally getting some respect, because he is a very talented and smart human being and seems to be one of the purest, most humblest men I ever listened to in show business. The real deal. All hats off to Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and everyone behind... The Office.



THE US OFFICE (2005-???)
-In 2005, Greg Daniels adapted the British version for American television and Americans finally had what England had. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I remember when I was a senior in high school, The Office had just premiered and of course, all the band geeks and emo kids were raving about. Probably some of the dumb jocks too. Well... they'd rave about a cat watching television, so... Anyway, I would always see promotions galore for it everywhere. From billboards to the internet, to television of course. Commercials everywhere promoting the hell out of it. I still didn't give it the time of day. I never was really a big fan of Steve Carell. Still not by the way. He was fine in 40-Year-Old Virgin and Little Miss Sunshine, but that's about it. So when I entered drama school, a new friend, avid watcher of all television, was raving about the show. He was also the one who lent me the copy of the British version's season 1 dvd. But my friend had a few posters of it on his wall and a calendar of it too! He loved it. I still wasn't interested. I found myself always wanting to steer clear from overly hyped popular shows that EVERYONE is watching. Lost for example... There on the island, there off the island. Who gives a shit! Anyway, I finally got to watching the American Office on Netflix.com and watched every single episode from beginning to latest (that I was watching on the television). And I have to agree, I thought the first 3 1/2 seasons were very cleverly written and they definitely made it their own without stealing too much from the British version. However, they did duplicate the pilot episode from the British version for their pilot episode which was very bizarre to watch. There were still some majorly irritating elements of this show that I just knew were not going to change. I think John Krasinski was a god awful choice to play the part of Jim Halpert. And Jenna Fischer as well for that matter! I can see why the studio chose them, but ehhhh didn't work for me. They absolutely butchered those characters, which are so key to the show's outline. The character of Tim in the British version (played beautifully by Martin Freeman), which is what Jim is based off of, is supposed to be this lovable loser who is very well aware of where his horrible life is heading. Alienated so to speak. He's supposed to live with his parents and be 3o-years-old! And he's not supposed to look like a goddamn pretty frat boy! He's supposed to look rather awkward but still cute. But the main thing that character had going for him was the receptionist Dawn (played by Lucy Davis). And she too was battling her own problems with her depression with her fiancee. Now they tried to duplicate that with Jim and Pam in the American version and Jesus Christ, are you kidding me?! They are so insanely annoying! And especially now that there married with a baby! Why should we feel bad for any of these characters?! They all seem like there having the best time of their lives and soaking up the glory. That's not what The Office is about, folks. Even the Michael Scott character (Steve Carell)! Who is suppposed to be the most depressing one in the bunch. He gets women galore! Holly, Jan, Pam's mom! And there gorgeous and they really dig him! And he's sleeping with them too! How is the character, who is supposed to be the most depressing and pathetic one on the show, better off than I am?! What does that say about me?! Anyway, ever since Jim and Pam got together, I just couldn't stand their cheesy interviews together. If they were going to go down the path of them getting married, then end it right there with the wedding episode in Niagara Falls! Why go on further? Okay, give them a baby, now there still going on further! For crying out loud! END THIS SHOW! It stopped being decent after the 3rd season. Practically all the characters annoy the hell out of me, not including Steve Carell suprisingly, and I just want to smack them whenever they speak. That's... that's not normal is it? When that's not their intention? When Kevin speaks I wanna rip his head off. They all act up a storm! And what the hell is the deal with Kathy Bates having a role in the show now! She's so lame! Save that performance over the top acting for fucken Broadway. Kathy, I love ya, but your failing me going on this lame ass disgrace to all who watch it. Do the people behind this show understand that they have the chance to make something special with this story, with what the British version did. I'm not saying make it just as dry, but blend in the drama a little more instead of this goofy comedy all the time. Well, if you call what they do comedy. They had the special opportunity to dissect these characters and really create a fascinating character study on the typical work place. But they decided to go the other route and please every single person on the planet and sell out with this garbage. Oh yeah, and do they ever explain the fact that a goddamn documentary film crew has been following them all for 5 years now?! No, they don't. They just push that aside like it's nobody's business. That's just one of the many plot holes this show has to offer. I love how the characters are constantly being followed in numerous big public places and not one person (not part of the main cast) ever observes the camera. Yeah, real realistic. Also many people can't quite be themselves when there on camera for a documentary, but Jim Halpert doesn't seem to have a problem with it. This show is just ridiculous. And if Jim or Pam look into the camera one more time with their stupid faces I feel like I'm going to break something out of anger. Enough is enough. This show must be stopped! Who's with me?! The only major upside to this program is Steve Carell's performance as Michael Scott. I have to say, he is absolutely hysterical. Thank heavens he is the lead key character in this show. All the other actors should be ashamed of themselves and move on to something else, because they are just terrible.



Well, that's my take on both versions of the widely popular Office television program. Stay tuned for saturday nights at 1am (I know...) on cartoon network for archive episodes of the British version and I guess... uh, I guess stay tuned in for thursday nights at 9pm for uh... the American version on TBS. If I were you, I'd just wait until 9:30 instead and watch 30 Rock. Farewell!



Sincerely,
FILMBOY - Chris von Hoffmann


ENTRY QUOTE:

"Charity is taking an ugly girl to lunch." - Warren Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment