Tuesday, June 21, 2011

'SUPER 8'

Super 8 (2011)
-Now when I first saw the intense teaser trailer for this film last May of 2010, which simply consisted of a horrific train crash sequence and then something quite strong and enormous bashing out of the train hatchet... I gotta say... I was extremely intrigued. I am not a huge fan of JJ Abrams (despise Lost and Fringe), but I will say that he has to be one of the smartest guys working in show business, marketing wise. He knows how to stir up a crowd. I mean, it worked for me with Cloverfield, which I really enjoyed, and I found myself thinking Super 8 was going to be the same turn out. Sadly... it was far from it.

Now for the 2% of people who have NOT yet seen Super 8, the film simply revolves around a group of kids in their early teens, set in 1979, who are in the midst of making a zombie film with their trusty Super 8 camera. They end up travelling to a train station in the middle of the night to shoot some more footage, but as there filming, a train comes rushing by and ends up derailing, from being smashed from some guy's truck who rode onto the tracks. What proceeds is an insanely horrific train crash sequence (pretty awesome I have to say). The train crash is the talk of the town, but... there ends up being more to the story than just a train crashing. Especially when Government officials start roaming through the small town giving the Police, orders. And then eventually one by one, people begin disappearing. Something has emerged out of the train and lurks through the town.

Story sounds pretty kick ass, right? I mean, the acting of the kids is fine. Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney (who play the main kids) are absolutely terrific as well as the familiar faces that pop up here and there throughout the film. Including Ron Eldard as Fanning's drunk, controlling father. Kyle Chandler, as Courtney's Deputy father who he never sees. Noah Emmerich is great as the head of the Government agents who will not listen to anyone but himself. And even Christopher Guest veteran, Michael Hitchcock as another one of the Policemen! Which really surprised. All I kept thinking when I was watching Hitchcock was, "GIVE ME THE BIZZY BEE! GIVE ME THE BIZZY BEE!!!" Haha. Best in Show...

Anyway, what really ruined this film for me was that it felt WAY TOO MUCH like a Steven Spielberg rip off. JJ Abrams seems to hold his inspirations under his sleeve. Now I understand he's always been a huge Spielberg fan and that was one of the main points in this film is to take us back to the time of The Goonies and E.T., but come on! It was more than just those two films. The ending reminded me way too much of Close Encounters. Some of the attack sequences seemed way too close to Jurassic Park... Hell, even the alien looked like Optimus Prime from Transformers! Which Spielberg produced! I mean, holy Christ.

And did I mention that there are plotholes you could drive a tow truck through?!? Most of the elements in the film make absolutely no sense. The story structure and editing is really weak. It keeps jumping from one scene to another far too quickly as if JJ didn't have an idea to throw in between, so he just jumped from one to the next abruptly. I found myself at the end of the film, completely unfulfilled. It did absolutely nothing for me. No impact whatsoever. The only redeeming qualities about this film were the train crash, which I have to say, is one of the best train crash sequences I have seen in quite some time. And... SPOILER ALERT!!! The fake zombie film that plays during the end credits. The fake zombie film is better than the entire film all together!

Now I understand this film was set out to reach a more younger audience, but at times, it seemed a little TOO kid friendly. To a cheesy point. But the acting from the teens and their characters were far better than a shit load of the teen adventure films I've seen, so I'll give JJ that much. The film is not a disaster by any means. There's some tense moments. The gas station event... But... I just found myself, as I exited the cinema saying, "Eh. Just another monster movie." Which is a true shame, cause I really had high hopes for this one. But hey. I am like only in the 12% of people who disliked the film, so... It ain't like JJ's losing any money from this one. I think he'll be all right...


SINCERELY,
FILMBOY

ENTRY QUOTE:
"What I am saying is that I believe in showmanship." - Steven Spielberg

No comments:

Post a Comment